Monday, September 28

Celebration of Achievements

This past year...

I often think that, in today’s fast-paced world, we move from one project to the next without pausing and more importantly without celebrating our achievements.

This post is very much about me taking the time to pause, stop, reflect and celebrate what I have achieved in the past year.

Yes, it has been a year since I was made redundant from my role as a Business Intelligence manager, with my work and my division being offshored. It is something I fear may happen to many more people as companies increasingly adopt A.I and pursue greater profitability. However, this is not something I want to dwell on. The past is the past, and I have always tried to maintain a forward-looking attitude. So, let us move on….

Credit: C.Artindale

How I got here…. skip if you already know the story.

After being made redundant I was keen to get into a project I wanted to pursue for such a long time and that is write a book. So, I started writing articles about natural history, documenting my sightings and observations in the field. Through these articles, I hoped to explore the natural world, rediscover old species as well as find new ones, and more importantly, uncover their stories. What are they? Where are they found? Why do they behave and live in the ways they do? These were the questions that inspired me to look more closely at the fauna and flora around me, I just needed somewhere to practise my craft and learn to write again.

At first, it was simply for my own pleasure to write. I also wanted to rediscover something I had loved in my youth: sketching and drawing. What began as a writing exercise soon became an opportunity to reconnect with the creative side of myself.

I discussed with many friends in my natural history circle about how I should go about writing a book. Some were already authors, and the overwhelming advice was to create an online presence. This was something I had never done before. I had no Twitter, Instagram or Facebook account, and I wasn’t even keen on texting. What followed was an unexpected journey into the world of online communities, where I began sharing my work, exchanging ideas and connecting with fellow naturalists. Looking back, it was one of the best pieces of advice I received.

They say you should write about what you know, so I wrote about hoverflies and nature’s joy. For over ten years I have been studying, observing and recording hoverflies, bryophytes and exploring the natural world locally here in the UK. Hoverflies are unsung heroes of our ecosystems. From their crucial role as pollinators and natural pest controllers to their contribution as decomposers, hoverflies are vital to biodiversity.

I won’t go into detail why I chose Blogger, Substack and BlueSky avoiding more popular social media platforms, I’m sure you are using these platforms for the very same reasons. I have so far met some amazing writers, over the year many contributing their own discoveries and stories of the natural world and beyond.

Along the way, I have written more than 100 articles across these three platforms and created over 500 notes. Not all of them have been about hoverflies I might add. Many have celebrated the joy of nature, exploring our native butterflies, dragonflies, mosses and countless other species that share the natural world alongside hoverflies.

What began as a personal record of my observations has grown into an opportunity, which I hope, helps others discover and appreciate the remarkable fauna and flora that surrounds us every day.

Where am I now……

Within the last month, I have welcomed my 1,000th visitor to my website. I have reached 100 subscribers on Substack; I even celebrated with a little countdown cake marking the journey from 95 to 100 subscribers. My 200th follower on BlueSky. It’s great to find a community of writers passionate about the natural world as I am and I am eternally grateful that you have joined my little community. Having so many people find me to read articles about hoverflies and nature’s joy, is simply amazing. So, a big thankyou if you are one of those subscribers, followers and a big welcome if you are reading my post for the first time, hopefully you will join my community.

Whether big or small, taking the time to acknowledge and celebrate our achievements before moving on to the next project is so important. It is something I rarely had the opportunity to do while working in a multinational company, where there was often another deadline before I had even finished the current project I was working on.

Looking back, I regret not taking more time to celebrate each success for my team and myself. Achievements deserve recognition, not only because they mark progress, but because they remind us how far we have come. So today, I am taking a moment to reflect on mine, and I would love to hear about yours too.

After all, success shared is success multiplied.

Serendipitously, an opportunity arose to showcase my work at the British Naturalists’ Encaenia at the Natural History Museum as part of the association’s annual awards. The perfect platform to exhibit my creative work, sharing my art and articles, and lead fieldcraft sessions focused on finding and identifying hoverflies. It felt like the perfect place to celebrate a year on.

BNA Encaenia 2026 – Displays and Workshops

It was such a privilege to have to opportunity display my work, something I have never done before. I shared the room with the Linnean Society, History of Natural History and The Quekett Microscopical Club, well established groups that know how to build their membership and have done so for many years.

There was a lot of preparation work that was required for this display, my intention being to create something that was visual which people could pick up and look at, not just a printout of my articles. Central to this was my artwork which whilst not at the standard it was when I was studying art in my youth, is hopefully getting better and better. If you are a regular reader to the site, you will probably have seen some of my work as I have posted work leading up to the event, especially the acrostic postcards. Click here if you haven’t.

I was also keen to display more craft and design items so I took an idea from Zabby at The Nature Notice Board Newsletter, creating a couple of zines.

https://substack.com/@hoverflyspotter/note/c-315197428?r=6vuwea&utm_source=notes-share-action&utm_medium=web

The final part of my crafting involved some origami after finding a video on You Tube. These origami flies were scattered around the table to fill in gaps. Some of the paper-based ones unfolded to reveal my logo which people could take away.

I have put the You Tube link below if anyone would like to try them.

It was so nice that people took some time to come visit the display and take a look at my work. I met so many lovely people from the association, who were passionate to learn more about these wonderful flies. It did feel like I was putting myself in a glass cabinet for everyone to examine, like one of the exhibits in the museum. But people were so complimentary and it was even nicer that some people signed up to receive future work.

         Credit L.Artindale

I then did a couple of fieldcraft session in the gardens – something I had trialled on my local patches throughout the summer. Fieldcraft is very much part of the BNA – the practical skills of observing, identifying and recording, all to help better understand the flora and fauna in the field. The sharing of this knowledge and to encourage others to connect with nature is very much the philosophy of the association.

Credit E. Beer

Other workshops beside mine took place, many of which allowed you to get behind the scenes at the museum such as visiting the oceanography and beetle labs, a brief glimpse into how scientists work with their specimens in conducting significant research.

BNA Encaenia procession and Awards

So, after a brief lunch, it was time to don our gowns for the Encaenia procession and awards ceremony.

The BNA offers a range of honours and awards, alongside awards named after some of Britain’s most respected field naturalists, such as Richard Fitter, Peter Scott and David Bellamy.

Belonging to the British Naturalists’ Association has opened so many doors for me and in the ten plus years I have been a member. I have achieved an MBNA (for field skills), a Fitter Medal and more recently became a trustee of the association.

If any of my readers are interested in working towards one of these awards, I would strongly encourage you to do so. Unlike a degree, master’s qualification or other formal academic achievement, these awards are earned through dedication, enthusiasm and a commitment to sharing knowledge of the natural world with others. The only real investment is your time, curiosity and willingness to communicate your passion for nature. If that sounds like something you would enjoy, take a look at the website below to learn more about the application process.

You never know what doors this will open.

Grade Recognition – British Naturalists’ Association

You will be joining a long list of fellows and award recipients including…… Sir David Attenborough, Chris Packham, Nick Baker, George McGavin, Professors Helen Roy & Sarah Wanless.

Award recipients this year included amongst the many were:

Honorary Fellows: Stephanie Holt UK Biodiversity Training Manager at the NHM, Tim Gardiner Doctor of Philosophy, Biodiversity Technical Specialist at the Environment Agency.

Nic Wilson author of Land Beneath the Waves who became a Fellow.

My friend Kev received the Richard Fitter award, a great wildlife photographer.

Endymion Beer received a new award, the BNA ambassador for her many years of service as Youth Officer for the association.

Although the association has been in existence since 1905 the awards have only been awarded since 2007, a testament to the vision of its then Chairman Roger Tabor and former president the late David Bellamy. Who wanted to recognise people who love nature, spend time learning about it, and sharing that knowledge with others. I think it’s a wonderful association and you don’t have to be a professional to receive any award.

I blinked and the day was over, but what a wonderful way to celebrate mine and the achievement of others who received awards. It’s also a reminder that you are on the right path.

Looking Ahead

As I travelled home from the Natural History Museum, I found myself reflecting on just how much has changed in a year. Twelve months ago, redundancy felt like the end of a chapter. Looking back now, it was also the beginning of a new one.

What started as an opportunity to practise writing again has grown into a community of readers, subscribers, followers and friends who share a passion for the natural world. Along the way I have rediscovered old skills, learned new ones, exhibited my artwork, created workshops, led field sessions, and met some truly inspiring people. None of this was part of any grand plan. It simply grew from a desire to follow my curiosity and share what I found.

And perhaps that is why celebrating our achievements is so important. Success is rarely one big moment. More often, it is a series of small steps, quiet victories and unexpected opportunities that only become visible when we pause long enough to look back.

The next project is already waiting, as they always are. But before I move on, I wanted to take a moment to celebrate this journey and say thank you for being part of it.

Here’s to the next year of discoveries, adventures and, hopefully, many more reasons to celebrate.

Tell me about your achievements in the past year lets celebrate each other’s successes together.

Photos are all mine unless otherwise stated.

Next Steps

If you would like to join my growing community of nature lovers, who are all writing about the natural world observing, identifying, recording to help better understand the flora and fauna around them no matter where they are in the world then please consider subscribing.

Follow it


If you would like to read more about the event and see photographs from the day then click below.

https://bna-naturalists.org/wp-content/uploads/2026/09/Report-National-Encaenia-2026.pdf

https://www.quekett.org/about/reports/2026-bna-public

If you would like to have a go at making my origami flies watch this video, let me know how you do.

Origami fly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hoverfly Migration: Incredible Journeys

The most remarkable migrants of all It is the Autumn season birds are leaving our shores heading to their wintering grounds, a phenomenon kn...